Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Virtual Demos: A new teaching paradigm ?

As I was thinking about my experiences with virtual demos for the class, I couldn't help but merge the differences(?) between simulations,computer models and virtual demos. I think of virtual demos as a super set that contain all computer models, scale models, demos that can be used to augment educational experience without actually going through the real-time live experience .

As far as learning is concerned virtual demos can only supplement the main material and cannot stand alone as a teaching paradigm, in my opinion.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, that the lines are definetly blurry between those things you mentioned. However, to play devil's advocate, I'll throw-out some possible differences. In my mind a simulation is trying to replicate real-life, but has a high degree of interaction.

    So, a simulation might be a war game for the army or a stock exchange with virutal money...but it doesn't "exist" without being a particular session with individuals interacting with it.

    When I think of computer model, I think of a scaled down, different representation of a problem/solution. In the same way an algebra equation might offer representation of a real life occurance.

    Virtual demos is the term I don't really have a good handle on. Maybe that's a less interactive demonstration, but similar to a simulation?

    In any case, I agree that they can be good complements to the classroom. :)

    ReplyDelete