Thursday, January 14, 2010

First class of EDHI9040; but why now?

Was going through a couple of friend's blogs on teaching issues and wondering what is the thing I will take home with this class.Why were we sitting in this class was something that made me realize that similar theme based classes probably didn't exist. There must have been a need among the academicians that led to the creation of this course EDHI9040 and now that I am taking this course does count for something.

It has given us an opportunity to most importantly listen and understand other folks including ones from varied backgrounds and academic levels. Thats one of the unique thing about this class, I am sitting in a class with students from sociology, plant-biology, MIS, chemistry, social work, some academic fields I haven't heard of before. Hey remember we all live together and there is a need to talk with each other and the opportunity to take advantage of synergy that could have been caught.

Best part, I feel is that the I get an opportunity to present my views and to see how they fair with my peers and in general with people who are not me.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to say that I too really enjoy the diversity in our class. Its not often, ok its never, that I get to sit besides those not categorized in the social sciences. I really appreciate everyone's common desire to teach - and teach well. This sometimes gets lost in an academic setting so research-focused. I think we can learn a great deal from one another, particularly because we come from different backgrounds.

    So, thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete